This is one of my favourite Kerala dishes. I love simple dishes that's made with less oil, less masala. I have been gathering recipes from the internet and I came across this blog which had the recipe that gave the exact same taste of the red cow peas which I tasted as a child. So, all credits to "kaipunyam".
- Red cow peas- 1 cup
- Crushed dry chilly - 3
- Crushed garlic - 10 to 12 pods
- Crushed shallots - 8 to 10
- Turmeric pwdr - 1/2 Tsp
- Pepper pwdr - 1 Tsp
- Mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
- Soak red cow peas for 2 to 3 hrs. Cook it with salt and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add curry leaves, crushed garlic, shallots and salt. Saute till its turns light brown.
- Then add crushed dry chilly and turmeric pdr. Mix well and add cooked red gram.
- Add pepper pdr and mix well. Remove it from fire.